Monday, January 28, 2008

A Recipe For A Chilly Night!

I came across this recipe off of the blog of one of the sites we look at from time to time. I thought it would be fun to share it.

Burdock Clam Chowder
I made clam chowder last night for dinner and it was so delicious I thought you might like this recipe too.
I started out with a recipe from a cookbook called More than Scones. The recipe was for Corn Chowder, and that is what I was going to make until I drove down our street and saw that our neighbors who go and collect clams and oysters had their sign out that they had some for sale. Well, I quickly changed my dinner idea and bought some clams. She also had some Dungenous Crab which was an extra special unexpected treat, but that's not what this blog is about...
So, here's the modified recipe I put together. Ingredients: 1 cup chopped onion, 1 chopped burdock root (about 14 inches long and 1/2 inch thick) (I didn't have celery, but I saw the burdock root in my vegetable drawer and decided to try it.), 2 T oil, 2 medium potatoes, 3 cups chicken stock, 1 can of corn, 5 cloves of garlic, 1 cup cream, 1 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. white pepper, and about 20 steamed clams.
Saute the onions and burdock in the oil in your soup pot until they are tender. Add the potatoes, stock, chopped garlic, and corn. Simmer until all the vegetables are tender. Puree 1/2 of the soup and then return it to the pot. Add the clams and simmer 5 more minutes, stirring often (it sticks to the bottom of the pot easily). Stir in the cream, and adjust seasoning to taste.
The book suggests topping with fresh parsley, but I didn't have any. I think that would be an excellent addition. I'm a big fan of parsley.
Enjoy!
Kimberly
Taken from Learning Herbs blog

No comments: